Thursday, June 24, 2010

Unhealthy Rage

All this talk about Afghanistan, and firings, and strategy makes me want to change my stress status from green to crimson red. I’m finding myself needing to breathe really slowly and fully, just to be able to type to you what I’m saying now. I suffered from survivor’s guilt for a long time, and today that pain is tugging my heart into my stomach again.

I’m not a political zealot by any stretch of the imagination (I didn’t even vote in the last election because I’m sick of being forced to have to choose between two losers), and since I decided to pursue studying writing this year instead of studying government, I’ve found my life to be much happier. That being said, the War in Afghanistan is on pace to outlast the Vietnam War, and I’m sick of the empty suits and egghead academics always making everything worse. And it’s so damn personal to me.

I’m clenching my fists in between sentences now... I lost a dear friend in this quagmire; and America lost one of its very best Sergeants – two unborn twins lost their daddy – and I want the killing to end.

How the hell are you going to remove a commanding general on the eve of a major battle just because your pride was hurt, Mr. Obama? Do you understand the implications of counterinsurgency warfare and how much you’re emboldening the enemy by disrupting the leadership at this moment? The strategy only works when you put a leader in place who can win over the tribal leadership and the affection of the government and you leave him there. That leader was McChrystal. Even the President of Afghanistan wanted him to not be fired. You mention insubordination as the reason for McChrystal’s termination. Well, I’ve read that Rolling Stone Article you cited several times now, and I can’t find anything that would be remotely relevant as grounds for dismissal for that reason. Your pathetic ego just can’t stand even a mild criticism – even though you criticized President Bush for surrounding himself with Yes Men generals, and you wanted to be a politician who would welcome dissent and different opinions. Who’s going to speak up against you now? You mentioned that you wanted to maintain the integrity of the chain of command as another reason for his firing. Yet, you seem to not even understand that concept either, as you’ve inexplicably demoted General Petraeus to be his replacement, when there are several other generals who could have assumed that role. But you had to use the hero of the Iraq War, King David of Iraq, because you knew this was a stupid decision, and this was the only way for you to save face.

POLITICIANS WHO MAKE DECISIONS ABOUT THE WAR BECAUSE OF PERSONAL MOTIVATIONS I CANNOT ABIDE. I’m so livid, I’m seeing different colors on my computer screen.

I’m so worried about the implications of this decision that my hands are going numb. I’ve lost so many friends, and our nation is still being drained of some of its very best young men and women at a rate of almost 3 a day. I’m begging you to get serious about this war, Mr. President. Get us the hell out of there, or get serious about winning.

As someone who has lived through combat, it’s an experience I don’t want for anyone else. But these unending wars – this waffling middle area – this swirling gray, is going to bring us all down. I fear many more lives will be destroyed before this is done. More lives than needed will be lost and their swan song will ring in ears for decades; piercing our ears with our inaction and the foolish behaviors of today, until we perish too.


Connect with Dario online:
Personal Website (Free Writing, Podcast, Dario in the Media, Biography, Books, Blogs)
20 Something Magazine (Editor-in-Chief, Creator)
JMWW Literary Journal (Senior Nonfiction Editor)
The Veterans Writing Project (Instructor, Nonfiction Editor)
LinkedIn (Professional Stuff)
Facebook (Be my friend?)

No comments:

Post a Comment