Friday, September 3, 2010

Mission Accomplished?

Mission accomplished? Is this for real? Sorry to go on a sort of brain dump type of post here, but the events of this week in Iraq are just kind of overwhelming my thinking entirely. Not to be too abstract in what I’m typing, but, can this war really end? Does any war ever end? World War I begat World War II which begat the Cold War, which empowered a man we once supported – Osama Bin Laden (we covertly supported the Taliban’s insurgency against the USSR in the 80s) – to attack us on 9/11 and begin the Global War on Terror. I want to think of this as a victory but what are the spoils here? What does this mean for our country? What does this mean for the new generation of troops dealing with the trauma of “life after war?”
Can all be mended? Can everything be fixed? I can’t stop thinking about how the release of Saving Private Ryan in theaters caused an uptick in PTSD claims from WWII veterans. When I think of my elders, I think of bold, quiet men; stubborn fellows who out of necessity and social norms closed themselves off when they returned home. Not to take anything away from their glory and history, but were they ever healed from their experiences at war? Or did we just not understand or care? What kind of life is that to carry the secret burdens of combat forever?
I don’t want to be a bitter, beaten down, angry fart at the retirement home one day. I don’t desire to be a man who will, at the end of his life, finally be faced with the demons of his past. And I don’t want that for any of my other brothers or sisters. I want us to work on those issues now.
Maybe some WWII, Korea, or Vietnam guys will think our generational character is weak, but I’m glad there is so much talk and attention to the mental health issues that result from serving in combat in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other hotspots around the world. Maybe we can be the first group of veterans truly healed from our time at war. Maybe that inner peace will result in a greater peace and stimulate tranquility around the world.
No, I do not believe that this war is over. I believe we need to keep fighting for our veterans – working as hard as we can at helping them get well and making new lives for themselves – or we’ll lose this victory.

Connect with Dario online:
Personal Website (Free Writing, Podcast, Dario in the Media, Biography, Books, Blogs)
20 Something Magazine (Editor-in-Chief, Creator)
JMWW Literary Journal (Senior Nonfiction Editor)
The Veterans Writing Project (Instructor, Nonfiction Editor)
LinkedIn (Professional Stuff)
Facebook (Be my friend?)

No comments:

Post a Comment